According to the tax registers of the 15th to 17th centuries, the village of Otok was included under the “administrative division” of Vukovci and ultimately Učakovci. Kovačji Grad was also considered to be a part of Vukovci through evidence of the contiguous house numbering in the 19th century.
When we turn to Birth and Marriage Registers (matične knjige) kept by the Catholic Church, we can identify 6 individual households existing in Otok in the year 1820. Some of these households, and the houses themselves, have since vanished. Other have been since created, usually as delniki, i.e. by partitions of a pre-existing household into two (or more) households.
The families in Otok are long standing families where ownership of households did not change hands very often. Contrary to that, the surnames have changed in some houses quite often but often by other families in this village and Vukovci. We have found 4 distinct surnames in the oldest church records including, Brožič (2 houses), Fortun (1 house), Kobe (2 houses) and Šutej (1 house).
For the sake of clarity. below is a list of the houses of Kovačji Grad (KG), Vukovci (V) and Otok (O) with both the original house numbers and today’s house numbers (if the house still exists). Also included is the household name (if known).
|Old House #||New House #||Original Name||New Name||Special Notes|
|KG 1||V 7||Peršetovi|
|KG 2||KG 4||Polančevi|
|KG 3||KG 3||Runtiči|
|KG 4||KG 1||Runtičevi||.|
|KG 5||V 1|
|KG 6||KG 2|
|KG 7||KG 6||Novoseli|
|O 20||O 12||Brožiči|
|O 21||O 13||Ivančevi||Pljančevi|
|O 22||O 14||Mihelovi|
- This house once stood across from the Šutej house (KG 1) on the other side of the road.
- This house once stood by (under) the fire house. The ruins are still visible.
- It is unknown where this house stood. It probably was where the fire house is now. In that location were many houses at the end of the 19th century.
- It is unknown where this house stood. It probably was near where the fire house is now.
- This house stood beside old house 18.
- This house no longer exists. It once stood between new house number 10 and 11.
- This house no longer exists. It was near new house number 11.
- This house no longer exists. It stood near new house number 11.
- This house no longer exists. It stood near where the fire house is now.